Friday, June 10, 2011

Black Women & Body Image

Greetings!
The Body Image Blog (Arkstories.com) has finally been created. As the stories come in, I will post them.
  
Please understand I am being VERY GENERAL here. I realize that we all have a unique and individual story. That said, I would like to approach the subject of black women and body image.

As a white woman, I have noticed that black women do not seem have as much insecurity with their bodies, especially with weight as white women. This is also very much accepted by white people.  For instance, a black celebrity like Beyonce has a round, voluptuous, curvaceous shape. She is praised for it and she looks fantastic. When a white woman has a similar shape, the public in general has more negative things to say about the same curves.

I have seen women in the black community take pride in their physical appearance no matter their shape or size.  But as I do an Internet search, I find eating disorders are affecting more black women.


I would love to get stories from black women describing how it is for you. What messages did you get from your mother growing up? From your peers? How do you perceive it to be for white women? Have you ever indulged in any kind of unhealthy behavior with food? Are you happy with your body? Have you ever experienced body hatred?

Men are encouraged to submit as well, in fact there are several stories from men on the blog.
You may choose to be anonymous or credited. If credited, I allow up to 2 urls and a photo. This is totally YOUR choice. If you do not want your identity revealed, I guarantee your privacy. It should be noted that the majority of participants choose to be credited.


Over the years in my own struggle with my body & self image, I have heard from other white women that they think black women have it easier. Is this true? You tell me. I want your story.


Guidelines and all you need to know is provided on this link: http://arkstories.com/bodyimageblog.html
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment