Saturday, November 5, 2011

Independent Vs. Traditional Publishing - Author Interview: Debra Ann Pawlak





The questions posed to each author are at the bottom of the first part of this series. To see the article and questions, please click here:  Independent Vs. Traditional Publishing

 Debra Ann Pawlak,
Author
Bringing Up Oscar,
The Men and Women Who Founded the Academy




USA Book News announced their 2011 book award winners and finalists yesterday--'Bringing Up Oscar' was the winner in the 'History: Media/Entertainment' category! That makes two awards for Oscar this year! Very exciting!



My publisher is Pegasus Books, LLC of New York. I received a 'nice' advance (according to Publishers Weekly) and Pegasus came highly recommended by my agent, Mr. Peter Riva. Previously, I had two books published (without representation) via small presses who offered no advances, so I was pleased with my contract--after all, everyone has to start somewhere. This contract only addressed Bringing Up Oscar, The Men and Women Who Founded the Academy but another Hollywood book in the series is currently under consideration.

My book debuted in January 2011. Hardcover and electronic versions are available with a paperback scheduled to come out in January 2012. Pegasus Books has been wonderful to work with. They took care of sending out advance reading copies and contacting major media outlets. I worked well with my editor, who not only answered my questions thoroughly and promptly, but helped worked through unexpected issues when they arose.  I could not have asked for better.

I do have a Facebook page called Hollywood:  Tales from Tinseltown. I update daily with interesting movie trivia from silents to sound, as well as book news when it is warranted. I love interacting with and getting to know my members. My publisher has worked with me in setting up book signings, interviews, etc.

I have been featured in USA News on a couple of occasions. Publishers Weekly also gave Bringing Up Oscar a fabulous review. The book was also named Runner Up in the nonfiction category of the 2011 Hollywood Book Fesitval. I have also written guest blogs for The Writer and Angela Hoy's Writers Weekly.



I have no intention of self-publishing at this time. For me, the support of a good agent and traditional publisher has been invaluable as I navigate through the world of publishing. There is just so much to learn from their collective experiences.

Money aside, writing this book has been a wonderful experience. My main goal was to present the thirty-six founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and how they helped shape the film industry we know today. Most people have no idea how or why Oscar came about--even though a couple of names (i.e., Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks) are familiar. Their contributions to filmmaking have been mostly forgotten but these thirty-six people were at the top of their Hollywood game in 1927.  How they got there and what they did makes for a compelling and unique tale.  They should not be forgotten!

I was given the final cover for approval/input. I am not a marketing expert, but with Audrey Hepburn on the cover, I couldn't go wrong! I was not involved with the pricing.

Author Interview: Dorinne Davis  Click here
Author Interview: Sally Franz: Click Here
Author Interview: Geoffrey Hopf Click Here
Author Interview: Betsy Balega Click Here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment